Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Most Amazing Awesome Bed Ever!!!

When my youngest was very young, my brother got a new bed. He gave me his old mattress and box springs. We saved them until Victoria outgrew her crib. When she did move out of her crib, we chose to put the mattress and box springs on the floor in case she ever rolled out. She is over 3 and a half now and has never rolled out of bed. We decided it was time for her to have a bed frame. We went to Ikea a few weeks ago and saw a loft bed frame there that was really cool, but it wouldn't work with her current mattress. My amazingly inventive husband started thinking. Just over a week ago he had it all worked out and we headed off to Home Depot for supplies.
Buying supplies at Home Depot. The girls are watching the 4x4 posts being cut in half.

My husband decided he wanted the finished product to be a surprise for the girls. So, they were locked out of the room for a week. The anticipation built as we got closer and closer to finishing.

Here is where the bed frame is going to go. It is such an empty slate.

Here is the beginning of construction. My husband researched plans on the internet, but then he designed it himself.

It is beginning to take shape. The playhouse created below is going to be so much fun.

Oh, wow. With the mattress up there, we realized how close they are going to be to the ceiling.

Every good playhouse needs to have a window, right?

The complete product. I still have to pinch myself to believe that my children get to sleep in this amazing bed. I tell them all the time how lucky they are to have a daddy that loves them so much.

Two extremely happy children.
The first thing they did after looking over it all was to run to their playroom and grab stuff for their "living room" as they have dubbed it. They now take pleasure in saying I'm going to go to our living room.

The whole process took just at a week start to finish. We hit a few snags along the way, but we were able to work them out. I am just so amazed at what my husband and I can do when we work together. 
Oh, and we have already started making plans for one of these in Cristina's room, and we are trying to incorporate a slide. Awesome!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment