Sunday, September 7, 2014

The First Two Weeks of Survival Mode

     I can't believe tomorrow starts the third week of school. The first two weeks were such a blur and I honestly don't think I have ever felt as tired as I did during the last two weeks. My classes are crazy this year. I have SO many students. My homeroom has 28 and my partner's room has 23. That's 51 students that I have this year. But, my students were really nice and decided to all have the same name. :) I'm talking 4 Leslie's (all spelled differently Leslie, Leslye, Lesly, Yesley) 3 Francisco's, 2 Stephanie's, 2 Ivan's, 2 Cesar's, and 2 Christian's. I finally have all the names with the right students, but now I need to work on last names and remembering which one is in which class. My head is just swimming with names. And I promise I am *completely* over any jealous or bitter feeling I had about teachers in the regular program (I teach in the Dual Language program) that have 13, 14 or 15 students in their classes. Really it was just shock at how many kiddos I had and panic at being able to get to know them all. Amazingly I feel like I already have bonded with both classes much better than I did last year. Last year was a struggle to get to that comfortable place. Add to all that craziness that we have a new math curriculum and all the supplies have not shown up. Its kinda hard to teach a lesson based on a big book when I don't have the big book and no idea what the story is even about.
    I worked really hard last week to finish all lesson plans, grading, and other school work by Friday afternoon. After all the exhaustion caused by the first two weeks I really wanted to focus my weekend around my family. So, Saturday morning we got up and went to Hurricane Harbor. We had been once before at the end of the summer, but I was sidelined during that trip and we are used to tag teaming with the girls. We each take a partner for any activity we do, so taking them both in the water alone was a bit of a challenge. This time around we went in full force. One slide followed by another, followed by a waterfall, then a pool. We had a blast and it was great to recharge with those who I love so much. Our season passes come with lunch, so we didn't even have to take any money with us. Can't beat an amazing family outing that doesn't touch the budget!
    Now it is time to get some sleep. I feel this week will be just as busy as the last two, but much much better. I really like all of my kids, they are doing really well, and I feel ready to take on this challenge. Plus next weekend is another fun family outing. TCU home game!

No comments:

Post a Comment