Sunday, September 14, 2014

Character and Setting, Independent Reading and Football

This week we were working on character and setting using Henry and Mudge and the Starry Night. We read the story, discussed it, did some workbook pages, then on Friday we put it together in these cute character and setting tents. On the outside of the tents the kids drew and labeled the characters. On the inside they drew the setting. On the inside flaps they wrote details about what Henry and Mudge saw and smelled. We did main idea and details last week, so I used the extra space to throw in some review. :)








One thing I really wanted to find time for this year was independent reading time. I only have 55 minutes to teach reading. That is not a lot of time, so this year I am really picking and choosing which activities I want to do so that the last 10-15 minutes is just focused on the kids reading books on their level. 
At the end of last year I got my AR station set up. Inside the black ovals are the level range that corresponds to that color. The white strip (which I have redone this year to make it straighter and neater) shows the levels in increments. I have gotten about 3/4 of my students leveled. They have a small card with their name on it that shows them what level they are on and what color books they need to read. I use a thumb tack to attach it next to the level they are on. This lets them see what color they are on and how far they are from the next level. On the back of each book I have written the level and AR number. The students can use that to take the AR test and then use the board to see what color box the book goes in. Its taken some practice, but books are beginning to be returned to the right place. Also there are at least 5 more boxes than in this picture. See the three boxes on the floor? That was the beginning of the overflow boxes. I taped large strips of colored paper to those boxes to identify the solid white boxes. 


Her is my independent reading time in action. Most of the kids are catching on to reading by themselves. Not showing your book to your friend or otherwise distraction them from their book, but concentrating on reading your own book. Once they have read a book several times they can take an AR test. We keep a list going so we all know who is taking AR test first the next day. By next six weeks I am going to incorporate their AR tests into their reading grade. This will help make sure that everyone is taking at least 1 test a week. Hopefully more:)

Now after all that hard work all week, we had some fun at the TCU football game on Saturday. 
Cristina was excited to have "girl time" where they lay under the bleacher seats while the adults watch the game. According to her they discuss "high fashion" while under our feet. 

Then it was time for some treats. First a lemon chill follow by a bucket of popcorn.

Go Horned Frogs! They won!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment