Sunday, March 30, 2014

Shapes Shapes Shapes

We have been working hard to learn all the vocabulary that goes along with shapes. Vertices, faces, edges its hard for English Language Learners to keep all these words straight. Today we got to have some fun and be creative with out work. First we use nets of seven different shapes to make the solid shapes and filled out a chart about the number of vertices, faces, edges and a real world object that is that shape, then we got creative and started building things out of out shapes.

 This is the beginning of a robot. The legs and body started out really well, 
but then the top of the body and head got too heavy. 

 Different versions of cities. 

Several years ago when I was still in first grade I got some inflatable shapes from 
Donor's Choose. 
It did not come with a rectangular prism so I took a box that the math papers came in and covered it with construction paper. This worked for my first year in second grade, but this year we have new state standards (for us in Texas called TEKS) and the shapes we learn about have increased. We have added rectangular pyramid and triangular prism. So while the students were creating there shapes, I tried my hand at creating my own. I think they came out pretty well. I don't like how messy the tape looks, but maybe I can improve on them next year.

 Rectangular pyramid made during my morning class. Triangular prism made during my afternoon class. 

And here they are all hanging up and labeled. I really wish the fire marshal would let us hang things from the ceiling. I think it would be awesome to have these hanging around the room all the time. Unfortunately, we are not allowed to hang things from the ceiling and I need the board space that I covered up when I hung these up. As soon as geometry is finish these have to go back on the shelf. Maybe next year I will work on finding a permanent place to hang them up in my room when I set my room up in August. 

No comments:

Post a Comment